Record Voice Over directly into the timeline
- Get Set up by Displaying the Voice Over Record button
The Voice Over Record button lets you record a voice-over directly on to an audio track.
To display the this button in the Timeline header, do the following:
- Select the track in the Timeline to which you want to add the voice-over.
- Click the Settings button in the Timeline and select Customize Audio Header.
- Drag-and-drop the Microphone and Recording buttons to the required audio track, and click OK.
- Start the voice-over recording workflow
Start a voice-over recording workflow by doing one of the following:
- Mark a specific In/Out range to insert the audio recording.
- Position the playhead at the starting point of inserting the voice-over.
- Display pre-roll countdown
The pre-roll countdown is a visual cue to give you time to prepare and begin the recording. Use the Voice-Over Record Settings dialog box to adjust this.
- Begin recording
Click the R and the Microphone button in the audio track’s header to begin recording. A status message “Recording…” appears in the Program Monitor to indicate that recording is on.
- Finish Recording
When using a predefined In/Out range, recording ends when the playhead reaches the Out point in the Timeline. The status message on the Program Monitor then changes to “Finishing…”. If you’re not using a predefined In/Out range, stop the recording manually by clicking the Voice-over Record button; again, or by pressing the Spacebar key.
Once recording is complete, an audio file of the recording is created. The audio file is imported as a new project item into the Project panel.
Mute input during recording
Muting input can prevent feedback or echo when the computer is connected to speakers.
- Choose Edit > Preferences > Audio (Windows) or Premiere Pro > Preferences > Audio (Mac OS).
- Select Mute Input During Timeline Recording.
Table of Contents:
00:08 – Customize audio header with Mic and R buttons
00:31 – Add VO with in and out points or at start of playhead
00:40 – Set in with I and out with O
01:07 – Set pre roll count down
01:25 – 12 DB is about where you want to be
01:28 – Set your microphone or input source
01:38 – Mute Existing audio while recording vo
02:21 – Press R to enable track for recording and mic to record
03:18 – Keyframe music to better hear vo